Saturday, October 27, 2012

Gloria Steinem's writing

I went back and read this again, and I think I laughed more than the first time. The statement that stood out to me the most was when Steinem wrote,
"Whatever a "superior" group has will be used to justify its superiority, and whatever and "inferior" group has will be used to justify its plight."
I think that's very powerful and true. You could pick any characteristic or quality and if the superior or inferior group possesses it, then any trait can be viewed in a positive or negative manner. I think this is interesting to consider because it's not about certain traits being better than others, but rather how people react and perceive these traits, and how these reactions and perceptions structure our society.

Also not to go into deep political controversy, but the concept Steinem wrote about made me also wonder if and how people's and presidential candidate's beliefs and platforms about abortion would change if men were the ones to get pregnant. Just curious. 

This was definitely a clever and much appreciated laugh though. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment